Reduce My Arrears

How can I reduce the amount of arrears I owe?

Compromise of Arrears Program

In some child support cases the Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP) allows for a parent to pay less than the total arrears owed to the State. If you qualify for COAP, you will be able to offer a compromise repayment to the state. In other words, you may offer to pay an amount that is less than the full amount you owe. Any reduction in your arrears and interest owed will be based on your income and assets.

To qualify for the COAP program you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must owe the government arrears of at least $501.00
  • You must complete the necessary application forms and provide supporting documents.
  • You have not stopped paying child support in anticipation of this program
  • You do not misrepresent or conceal income and/or assets.
  • You cannot have a conviction or finding of Contempt in the last six months.
  • You must have the ability to pay the arrears owed to the custodial party prior to the compromise.
  • You must pay your current support orders.
  • You must be able to make your COAP payments as agreed.
  • You have not had an agreement denied in the last year.
  • You have not had an agreement rescinded in the last two years.

For more information regarding this program please visit the California Department of Child Support Services website:

Parents interested in obtaining more information about the Compromise of Arrears Program can call our COAP information line at (408) 503-5351 or visit the DCSS Office at 880 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95131.

©2021 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.