Do you have any other questions? Did you know we have a survey?

We appreciate your feedback and would like to invite you to take a customer service survey located at http://www.childsup.ca.gov/

DCSS - Mission Statement

If you need help with a problem, ask to speak with the LCSA's Ombudsperson – it is his or her job to:

  • Help you get child support services
  • Explain your rights and responsibilities
  • Help you resolve problems with your case
  • Explain the complaint process before, during, and after a complaint is filed
  • Help you request and prepare for a state hearing if you are not satisfied with the results of the complaint resolution process

Family Law Facilitator

Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement

Foster Care 

If your child is currently receiving foster care, the court may hold both parents responsible for Child Support. Custodial parents should be aware that even if a case has been opened and an order has been established for the non-custodial parent to pay Child Support, once the child is in foster care DCSS will establish a separate case for the custodial parent.

The court uses California Child Support guidelines to determine the support due in each foster care case. Each parent may be ordered to pay a different amount of Child Support based on income and other financial considerations.

If your child has been placed in foster care, the Family Court Clinic at 99 Notre Dame Avenue is available to answer questions about your obligation to pay support or you can consult a private attorney. The Clinic information line is (408) 882-2900 and the service is provided free of charge.

Glossary of Terms

Job Opportunities & Local Community Resources

Student Internship Program

Military Information

California Benefits

State Hearings

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, we will provide you with information about your right to a State Hearing, a process which allows a judge to review your case.

Issues not heard at State Hearings:

Locating Parents

DCSS must find out where the noncustodial parent lives or works to obtain or enforce a child support order. Sometimes we locate a noncustodial parent with a single postmaster letter verifying an address we have, but often we must use a variety of tools to locate an NCP.

Locate actions we take include the use of

  • Postmaster letters
  • County Assessor's Office information
  • Letters to the custodial parent
  • Voter registration files
  • Wage verification letters to an employer

At the state level we use the California Parent Locater Service (CPLS), which provides us with information from state agencies, including:

  • Franchise Tax Board
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Employment Development Department
  • New Employee Registry
  • Department of Justice
  • State Utility Match System
  • Property Tax Exemption File

Through the Federal Parent Locater Service (FPLS), we have access to agencies such as the:

  • Veteran's Administration
  • Department of Defense
  • Social Security Administration
  • New Employee Registry (for employers outside of California)

We also have automated access to:

  • Credit reports
  • County Department of Revenue
  • Criminal Justice Information Control (CJIC)
  • California Law Enforcement Telecommunications

We use other databases to give us information about addresses, phone numbers, professional licenses, contractors, real estate agents, California corporations and limited partnerships, and sales and tax licenses.

For informational brochures for most Child Support topics including information for Custodial Parents, Non-Custodial Parents, Employers or other interested parties, Visit the State of California - Child Support Publications

State Office of Child Support Services

Social Security Administration (SSA)

The Social Security Administration can help with various benefits, such as Retirement, Disability, and Medicare. For information see their web site at, www.socialsecurity.gov

Upcoming Events

©2021 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.